Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back with all guns blazing?

Well guys it is so good to be back home with you all and I am enjoying getting back in to my stride at St Pauls. I feel that I have been away for ages even though I have only been on study leave for six weeks. Please bear with me. I have about 500 emails to get through and so will take a while to catch up.

Looking back, the highlight for me was my time in the States at the beginning of the year with a group of about 12 pastors from around the world. The other big highlight was my time spent with Dave and Liz MacGregor from Grace Vineyard in Christchurch a couple of weeks ago. Grace is a wonderful church and Dave and Liz are very inspirational people.

As my time drew to a close, I had planned to come back with all guns blazing and fill you in on everything but then the earthquake in Christchurch happened.

I don’t know about you but the deep tragedy of the earthquake seems to make such an approach inappropriate right now (although over the coming weeks I will fill you in on my time away).

Actually the earthquake has really affected me. Bex and I were on holiday up north when it happened and we have been watching the news and reading newspapers with our eyes full of tears as we have been reading of all of those in Christchurch who have lost their lives, homes and city.

I want to extend my sadness and deep condolences to all of you who have lost friends and family down there. As a church we will do all we can to support you and our pastoral care team is primed and ready to care of you in whatever way they can.

As you know, many people in the city are presently continuing to struggle on in very difficult circumstances having lost their homes, water supply, electricity supply or businesses.

As a church we will also be doing all we can to support the people in Christchurch in the coming weeks and months.

As I am sure you are aware from the news, the main request from agencies right now is for financial assistance. Whilst I am sure that many of you will have already sent money this coming Sunday morning we are going to be taking a collection for the city. We will be sending this to Dave MacGregor down at Grace Vineyard Church to support their relief efforts in the city.

Their response has been utterly amazing. They have set up help centers in the East side of the city which has been one of the areas most affected by the earthquake and they are distributing food, drinking water, clothes, cleaning products, toiletries and candles from these. They have also established a special relief center in conjunction with the police. They have also organised large teams of people who are helping people clear up their properties.

We are also exploring the idea of sending a team of people down to assist with their efforts although at this stage the feedback we are getting is that this may not be the best time particularly as volunteers will need to house, feed and drive themselves around which is easier said than done.  Of course, the affects of the earthquake are going to continue for many months and years and we have been advised that sending such a team in the future will be more helpful than right now.

For those of us in Auckland, please note that we have opened the church at lunchtimes for all those who want to pray or find solace. Also, if you have accommodation that you would like to offer those affected by the earthquake do let the office know as we are collecting information for the Diocese Of Auckland who are coordinating and organising these offers on behalf of the Anglican churches in Auckland.

We will also be praying for all those in Christchurch at our monthly prayer meeting on Monday night and so do please come along. We must not underestimate the power of prayer. Let's also be praying for all those who are grieving and struggling at this time.

Bex and I are so glad that we are back home in New Zealand at this time rather than stuck overseas so that we can be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment